Thursday, 10 March 2016

Book of Ruination Bold and Bright Andy Skinner Challenge



Hi Crafty Friends, I'm back today with another challenge entry. I love Andy Skinner's work for Decoart, his tutorials and You Tube videos have inspired me so much. His first challenge was Bright and Bold, right up my street!!! I love his Book of Ruination and decided to do my take take on it, Bright and Bold style.

I only decided to take part in the challenge at the end of last week so no step by step but I'll walk you through how I created the book.

I started off by priming with white Gesso. The book was made from paper mache so my paint needed a good surface to work on. After the Gesso had dried I applied 2 coats of Decoart Media Fluid acrylic in Cadmium red hue. Once that had dried I applied Decoart crackle paste to the centre and Decoart texture sand to the edges.


Once the crackle paste was dry, I sprayed Decoart shimmer misters in violet and turquoise.


I absolutely love the crackle paste and the effects were amazing with the misters. I then added more Decoart media acrylics in primary yellow, yellow green light and the red. I colour mixed with some white acrylics to create the light blue and orange colours seen.


The chipboard frame is by Australian chipboard company ScrapFX and I painted and mixed all the previous colours. I painted my card stock with the primary yellow then mixed the leftover with red and stamped with some Unity Stamp Co butterflies. I then used black Gesso with Andy Skinner's stencil and outlined with white Stabilo Uniball pen. 


Isn't the texture sand amazing?



I added some lilac chain from my stash and added a Tim Holtz word band. I used some Vintaj Patina in purple to colour the word band. I then added holes and threaded some ribbon and a Prima ladybird embellishment to the side.



I used some Kaisercraft paper to edge my book and inked with some Distress Inks in Old Paper.


On the inside I used my scrap water colour paper. I've been doing a lot of art journalling recently (photos soon, I promise!) using my Decoart paints and I always keep some cheap watercolour paper at the side to use up my excess paint. That's what created my back  pages on the inside.  I just added some more layers and I think the result was really effective. I used the same technique in the middle panel and used white acrylic paint this time with Andy's stencil.


I picked up the butterfly in a homeward shop when I lived in Australia. I used my Decoart Metallic Lustre creams in majestic purple, radiant red and elegant emerald to make the butterfly pop. The middle square is a piece of polystyrene covered with tissue paper.



Thanks for popping in today, I hope you liked my version of Andy's Book of Ruination, Bright and Bold style.

Jen xxxx










2 comments :

  1. Wow Jen - what a treat to see this post. What LUSCIOUS CARNIVAL COLORS you have throughout this piece - BRIGHT, BOLD, and BEAUTIFUL. And talk about MEGA CRACKLE - you got it girl!!! LUSCIOUS Textures. You truly made my spirits SOAR just seeing this STUNNING book. If all the world looked like your book - everyone would be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! j.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you've done with your book! That crackling is beautiful ! Shimmer Misters have now moved up my list of wants Toni x

    ReplyDelete